MA Wedding Expo at Shriner’s Auditorium
Happy New Year! Are you spending 2020 planning your wedding? Come to the MA Wedding Expo at Shriner’s Auditorium (Wilmington) this Saturday 1/4 and Sunday 1/5 from 11-5pm. Tickets are FREE for your entire entourage IF you register online, and this is one of the biggest shows in the area. If you still need vendors, it’s a great place to meet a lot of options and get your planning done!
Few tips for bridal shows in general:
1. Don’t go alone. It can be overwhelming and you’ll want someone else to chat with, talk about what you saw and hold all the swag!
2. Print labels ahead of time with your name, wedding date, and email address. Many booths have giveaways and your hand will thank you at the end of the show if you can just peel and stick labels.
3. Open a wedding specific gmail account before you come to the show and use that for your entries. There are a ton of sweepstakes (including a $10,000 grand prize), so there will probably be some things you do want to enter! Vendors will want to follow up with you, but again, that might get overwhelming in your work or personal email. Just make sure you check your wedding email regularly because there may be offers of correspondence you want to see!
4. Bring two bags or a pen with you to the show. Every booth will have literature, swag and stuff to give away. Not all of them will interest you at this moment, but sometimes it’s hard to turn down. Keep one bag on YOU for the cards of vendors you want to follow up with right away. Give another bag to someone in your entourage for the stuff you’re less interested in – it’ll make sorting through everything later easier. Or if you don’t want to carry two bags, bring a pen and mark the business cards of those you really liked.
5. Think of wedding expos like speed dating for vendors. You don’t have to choose right on the spot, but by spending a couple hours having small conversations with a lot of people, it’ll narrow down your choices from what you see on the internet, The Knot and social media sites… Plus you get to interact with them in person, without having to drive to a lot of different locations. It’ll save you a lot of planning time. There will be some deals at the expo if you “book TODAY!” You don’t have to feel pressured to pick right on the spot. MOST of these deals would still be good for a week or two after the show, IF you asked the vendor specifically when you followed up. Just don’t wait too long, or they might get booked.
6. Go early (like get in line before the doors open), OR go after 3 pm. This show tends to be packed in the middle of the day, so you’ll be able to take more time at each booth if you’re either one of the first in line, or if you go toward the end of the day when the early folks have cleared out. Most people stay for about 2 hours at the show.
7. Don’t be afraid to ask questions. There’s so much wedding experience under one roof and we all LOVE talking about weddings! So if you’re feeling overwhelmed, don’t know where to start or what you need next – ASK. And if a booth catches your eye, stay and chat awhile. You’re there to get ideas, make connections and find the people who can make your wedding vision come to life.
A couple details about this show in particular – the stage is separate from the booths, so if you are looking for a band/DJ and/or wedding dress/bridesmaid dresses/mother of the bride dresses/tuxes, etc, check out the stage schedule for when the music showcases and fashion shows are happening. They go on throughout the day. There’s also a glam bar (where you can get hair/makeup trials), centerpieces display featuring the work of many different vendors, dance lessons and seminars throughout the day on wedding planning topics. Schedules are posted where you enter. Shriner’s also has concession stands for breakfast and lunch foods, and there are more than a few booths with food/cake samples too.
If you’ve read all the way through the post – thanks for sticking with me. I’ll be at the show in booth #120 (first aisle near the center). Please stop by! I’ve got plenty of fun and useful swag to give away, so say hi!
Here is the link for FREE tickets: